2018 Dates: October 13-19 (Sunshine Coast), Oct 20 - Nov 2 (Southern Georgia, Rosario and Haro Straits)- take action to develop your sailing knowledge, navigation, seamanship and boat- handling skills to the next level.
7 or 14 days to remember . . . .
Our Pacific Northwest Cruise & Learn is focused on the North Gulf Islands, Sechelt Inlet, South Gulf Islands and the San Juan Islands providing the opportunity to experience heavy weather sailing conditions on a 125NM+ coastal passage. You will learn:
- Weather, current and tide analysis utilizing decision criteria for passage planning
- Preparation of crew and boat for heavy weather sailing
- Prepare the boat, crew and watches for 2 overnight passages
- Commisioning and provisioning for heavy weather
- Coastal piloting without GPS
- Heavy weather sail selection and trim
- Rigging and trimming Storm Sails
- Anchoring, mooring and docking techniques for heavy weather
- Preparing Submitting Sail Plan
- Emergency procedures for MOB Recovery and abandoning yacht
RYA Day Skipper, NauticEd Bareboat Chartering, and NauticEd Captain sailing certifications are available. Take your sailing theory and practical boat handling skills to a high level.
Instructor and Person-in-Charge
Ports-of-call may include: Vancouver (departure), Port Graves, Gambier Island, Smugglers Cove, Saltery Bay, Wilderness Resort ( 2-days Sechelt Inlet), Sechelt, Jedediah Island, Plumper Cove, Vancouver (return arrival)
Leaving Vancouver's English Bay and entering BC's Georgia Strait provides our northward route lined on both sides with rugged mountains. This is often challenging open water sailing at this time of the year and our opportunity to experience strong wind, near gale and gale conditions.
Howe Sound's snow tipped mountains border this archpelago of islands, seen from Gibsons Marina.
The Sunshine Coast's Sechelt, Welcome Channel, Smuggler's Cove, Malaspina Strait and Agamemnon Channel provide more challenging exhilarating sailing conditions.
Agamemnon Channel' s Saltery Bay, Skookumchuck (Sechelt) Narrows
A 2- night stay at Sechelt Inlet's Wilderness Resort is included. Beautific rustic rooms, deluxe kitchen/BBQ and a deep water dock provide an ideal base for heavy weather sailing, docking practice, salmon and rock fish fishing. A wood heated hot-tub and fire will help the crew prepare a BBQ salmon feast before settling down into a comfortable bed and and deserved deep sleep.
Sechelt Inlet and Salmon Inlet
Exhilarating sailing on ISAF Category 1 Beneteau First 36.7 offshore equipped sailing yachts with storm sails, asymetrical and symetrical spinnakers.
- Select a 7 day or 14 day Cruise & Learn- C$2275 plus GST per week
- Call or eMail the friendly staff of the VSC Office for additional details and registration.
Phone: 604 805 9944