9 or 7 days to remember . . . .
October 14-23, 2017- Take action to develop your sailing knowledge, navigation, seamanship and boat- handling skills to the next level.
This Pacific Northwest Cruise & Learn is focused on the North Gulf Islands and Sechelt Inlet providing the opportunity to experience heavy weather sailing conditions on a 170NM coastal passage. You will learn:
- Weather, current and tide analysis utilizing decision criteria for passage planning
- Log 2 overnight passages
- Commisioning and provisioning for heavy weather
- Coastal piloting without GPS
- Preparation of crew and boat for night sailing
- Preparing the boat and crew for heavy weather sailing
- Heavy weather sail selection and trim
- Rigging and trimming Storm Sails
- Anchoring, mooring and docking (or not) techniques for heavy weather
- Personal preparation for coastal passages
- Submitting Sail Plan
- Emergency procedures
RYA Day Skipper, NauticEd Bareboat Chartering, and Captain sailing certifications are available. Take your sailing theory and practical boat handling skills to a high level.
Ports-of-call include: Vancouver departure, Port Graves Gambier Island, Smugglers Cove, Saltery Bay, Wilderness Resort (3-days Sechelt Inlet), Sechelt, Jedediah Island, Plumper Cove, Vancouver arrival
BC's Strait of Georgia provides a northward route with rugged islands, challenging open water sailing, protected anchorages and salmon fishing. A very special segment of our trip will be to stay at the Wilderness Resort, Sechelt Inlet at the mouth of Narrows Inlet for 3 nights.
Beautiful rustic rooms with comfortable beds overlook the Coastal Mountains and windy channels. We will also get the opportunity to fish for salmon and rockfish with a local guides.
Howe Sound's snow tipped mountains border this archpelago of islands, seen from Gibsons Marina.
The Sunshine Coast's Sechelt, Welcome Channel, Smuggler's Cove, Malaspina Strait and Agamemnon Channel provide more challenging exhilarating sailing conditions.
Agamemnon Channel' s Saltery Bay, Skookumchuck (Sechelt) Narrows
A 3-night stay at Sechelt Inlet's Wilderness Resort is included. Beautific rustic rooms,deluxe kitchen/BBQ and a deep water dock provide an ideal base for heavy weather sailing, docking practice, salmon and rock fish fishing. Preparing BBQ salmon feasts on 2 of the evenings will be our crew's goal before settling down into a comfortable bed and a evenings deep sleep.
Sechelt Inlet and Salmon Inlet
Exhilarating sailing on ISAF Category 1 Beneteau First 36.7 offshore equipped sailing yachts with storm sails, asymetrical and symetrical spinnakers.
- Select a 7 day or 9 day Cruise & Learn duration- both options are C$2275 plus GST
- Call or eMail the friendly staff of the VSC Office for additional details and registration.
|Event Date||October, 14 2017 12:00 am|
|Event End Date||October, 23 2017 12:00 am|
|Registration Start Date||June, 1 2017 12:00 am|
|Cut off date||Oct 7, 2017 12:00 pm|
|Location||Granville Island Public Docks|