The best time to start racing is when you can participate in 10 days of on-the-water training within a 6 month window.
- How to prepare a sailboat for racing Regattas, Long Distance and Offshore Races
- How a BCSailing sanctioned race is conducted
- Sailing maneuvers and the Crew responsibilities for the 7 sailing positions
- Learn the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS) and their application at the START, mark roundings and boat interactions
- Differences between the RRS and Rules of the Road (COLREGS)
- Generate speed and Upwind efiiciency with advanced genoa and jib sail trim
- Advanced sail trim creating Downwind efficiency with advanced symetrical and asymetrical spinnakers
- Sail trim for light air, moderate and heavy weather conditions
- Rig tuning fundamentals
- Emergency procedures for MOB Recovery, fire, rig and hull damage
- Race Checklist- Strategy and Tactics
All of the above is delivered by our 10 on-the-water sessions VSC504 Competent Keelboat Racing Crew Program. The race and practice clinic venues are beautiful English Bay, Howe Sound, the Straits of Georgia, Gulf Islands and Deep Cove. Additional clinics throughout the year are available for Advanced Downwind and Advanced Upwind Sailing. They are delivered by proven race winning skippers and PNW sailing professionals. Race Strategy and Tactics are developed with students using local knowledge of weather, winds, currents and geography for each of the 5 races included in the Course.
"Fast is fun by first making it safe!"
VSC504 Student Motto
VSC is a very active racing club with a practical program for Students and Members providing Crew Skill Training, Regular Practices, Regatta, Distance and Offshore Racing. Racing is a year-round sport in Vancouver with Spring, Fall and Winter series of races conducted by the member sailing clubs of the Vancouver Area Racing Council (VARC).
You can join as a Student our Member of the VSC and race or practice on most weekends of the year. All summer long on Wednesday and Thursday evenings we race our j24 Josephine on English Bay.
Each student selects a primary and secondary position to specialize in during races and develops the seamanship and teamwork required to move the boat efficiently at the START, Upwind Leg, Windward Mark, Downwind Mark, Leeward Mark and FINISH line.
Completion of VSC504 is required to participate as crew on our yachts competing in the annual BC racing:
Major Distance & Offshore Spring Races 2018
- Friday March 30,31, April 1 - Southern Straits Classic- West Vancouver Yacht Club
- 105 NM Distance Race- a Pacific Northwest tradition with many international entries
- Sat. April 14,15- Around Patos Island Race, SNSYC- Sidney
- 68nm Distance Race- Overnight race
- Sat. April 14,15- Around Thetis Island Island Race, MBYC- Maple Bay
- Sat May 19,20 - Round Saltspring Race- SISC- Ganges
- 48 mile circumnavigation with START and Lamb BBQ
- Sat. May 26-28 - Swiftsure International Classic- Victoria
-105 nm Distance Race Victoria to Neah Bay, WA
- Sat. June 9- Round Bowen Island Race- Snug Cove
- 40 nm circumnavigation of Bowen Island
Web also provide opportunities to join the crew for BVI Race Week (April), Vic- Maui (June), Antigua Race Week (March) and VanIsle 360 (June) races. Graduates of the VSC504 Program are valued crew members on our VSC boats and other private yachts in the PNW.