Includes the navigational theory, chart reading, course plotting and passage planning skills required to safely navigate a recreational vessel under 65ft in coastal and inland waters. Focus of course is to utilize (certify) passage planning basics, Navigation and GPS Chartplotter knowledge.
None. This course is suitable for Power or Sail recreational boating. Takes approximately 10 hours of total time to complete anywhere you have internet access and a browser
NauticEd web-based eLearning Course:
- Chart terminology, Aids to Navigation (ATONS) and how to use navigation tools to plot courses
- Rules of the Road, (COLREGS) interacting with other vessels
- True north and Magnetic north
- Compass variation and deviation
- Determining your position using various techniques such as dead reckoning, running fixes and triangulation
- How to use your current GPS position to get you to your destination
- Set and drift from wind, tides and current
- How to simply determine your heading based on Set and Drift
Freedom to complete your Certification at your own pace:
- Never miss a class or shore- based inconveniently scheduled examination.
- On-line examinations test and retest your understanding and skills until you are satisfied at no additional charge.
VSC ON-THE-WATER Practical includes:
- demonstrate use of Navigation tools- GPS Chartplotter, dividers, roller plotter, pencil, sharpener and eraser
- prepare 2 day passage on Paper Chart - Straits of Georgia
- 2 half-days as Navigator on a VSC Cruise & Learn- responsibilities include Float Plan, Tide & Current tables, Sailing Directions, identifying Navigation aids, paper and GPS Charting and use of hand-bearing and Ship's compass
Completion of this course adds Coastal Navigation Certification to your NauticED Log Book and SLC (Sailing Licence Certificate). A downloadable .PDF of the entire sailing course is available to read offline or on your iPad
NauticEd Course Fee is $375- includes email support assistance and VSC False Creek Office Drop-in sessions with Instructors.
Practical Fee $375
Option 1 optional Navigation Tools- Weems & Plath Navigation Kit- $95
Option 2 optional Practice Chart- $30
In the absence of VSC special promotions, credits of 5% of course fees will be provided to Member/ Student accounts for each of the following:
- Full payment of Membership, Course or Cruise & Learn 4 months in advance
- Booking two or more persons at same time for one or more courses
- 90+% scores on VSC written examinations in 2016 and 2017
- Enlisted Military UK, Canada & USA