The following is intended to make clear the expectation of high standards which all holders of VSC Instructor Qualifications, Instructor Appointments, Employees and Contractors are required to practice on a day-to-day basis:
1) Respect the rights, dignity and worth of every person. Treat everyone with equality within the context of the sailing activity and sport.
2) Encourage and guide Students and Members to accept responsibility for their own behaviour, performance and outcomes concerning developing sailing knowledge, seamanship, boathandling skills and certification. At the outset, clarify what is expected of them and what they are entitled to expect.
3) Place the wellbeing and safety of the Student and Member above the development of skill or delivery of training. Ensure that activities directed or advocated are appropriate for the age, maturity, experience and ability of the individual.
4) Consistently display high standards of behaviour, hygene and appearance. Do not do or neglect to do anything which may bring the VSC into disrepute
5) Act with integrity in all Member, Student, Customer and business-to-business dealings pertaining to VSC training and operations. Never request fees or payments from VSC Students or Members outside of published VSC price lists.
6) We comply, instruct and support the safety, personal conduct regulations and laws of all the countries we operate our business.
7) Do not provide instruction or purport to provide courses from other sailing clubs/ schools/ associations outside the VSC scope of business..
8) Notify the VSC Managing Director immediately of any police or court imposed sanction that precludes the Instructor from contact with specific user groups (for example children and vulnerable adults).
9) Do not carry out VSC training, examining or coaching activities while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
10) Instructors follow all guidelines laid down in VSC Certification Standards and VSC lesson plans prescribed for specific training courses.
11) Do not disclose to or provide any Applicant, Student, Member, Customer, Employee, or Contractor information collected for the purpose of conducting VSC business to any person, business,, charity, organization or other entity without the written permission of the VSC Managing Director.
12) Whilst working with people under the age of 18 at the VSC, you are required to read and comply with the CANADIAN RED CROSS CHILD PROTECTION POLICY.
13) Relationships must be based on mutual trust and respect and not exert undue influence to obtain personal benefit or reward. Do not develop inappropriate working relationships with Members or Students (especially children).
14) Always promote the positive aspects of the sport by actively displaying courtesy to all those sharing the waters.
It is the duty of the VSC Instructor, Employee or Contractor to review this Code of Conduct each month of the calendar year or before any act on behalf of VSC. Failure to adhere to the VSC Code of Conduct will result in the suspension or withdrawal of VSC Qualifications or Appointments.
The VSC Instructor ___ Employee ___ Contractor ___ has read, understood and agreed to the above ___ (checks please)
Signature: Date: (DD/MM/YYYY)
Vancouver Sailing Club Authority
Name: Carl Richardson
Position : Managing Director
Signature: Date: (DD/MM/YYYY)